The Carolina Fall Classic was held at the beautiful Pepperwood Farm near Fuquay Varina. Pepperwood has an indoor arena, a big sand outdoor ring, a field for cones, gorgeous stabling, miles of trails and plenty of parking. It is much less expensive than the fairgrounds and we can have a fall date.
Check out the wonderful pictures of the Fall Classic 2011 courtesy John Classen…..
September 17-18, 2011
Please share this info with anyone you think might be interested.
On behalf of CCDC Linda applied for and received a "Special Use Permit" to allow carriage driving at Umstead Park! The trails there are smooth and wide so they are great for carriages. If you haven't ever ridden on the trails, you may want to ride there first (or go with someone who knows the trails) since a few of the bridges are a little narrow. Your carriage will fit but since you can drive for miles without the risk, you may want to avoid those areas. The park has a nice trailer parking area complete with drinking water for horses and people, restrooms and picnic tables. After heavy rain the parking area may be muddy. Call ahead to make sure it is ok.There are some rules! Please follow them so we can enjoy this resource.
1. Monday - Thursday only! The trails are heavily used by bikes, walkers, baby strollers, runners, riders etc on the weekends.
2. Call a day ahead to arrange for a ranger to meet you to unlock the gate. Riders can follow the trail around the gate but the gate must be opened to let carriages in.
3. Stop at the visitors center to sign in and let them know you are ready for the gate to be opened.
4. ALL HORSES ENTERING THE PARK MUST HAVE A NEGATIVE COGGINS and show it at the visitors center. They will make a copy and keep it on file. After the first time your name will be in the computer so check-in goes pretty fast.
5 Single horses only. Vehicles less than 6 feet wide.
6. Use only designated Bike and Bridle trails. Hiking trails are off limits.
7. Horses at the park should be reasonably accustomed to bikes, dogs on leashes and baby strollers!